More than just extra body weight, obesity can cause many health issues – such as type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular problems, and various types of cancer. Your doctor will determine whether you are clinically obese by evaluating certain factors, such as the circumference of your waist and your body mass index (BMI).
BMI is calculated by dividing your weight by your squared height in metric terms (kg/m2, or kilograms divided by square meters). When an adult has a BMI in excess of 30, and the waist circumference is considerable – over 35 inches for a woman and over 40 inches for a man – then these two factors are usually satisfactory for determining obesity. Many professional athletes could errantly be considered obese by BMI alone thanks to their great muscle mass, which is why other factors must be taken into consideration as well.
In the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that 30.5% of Americans were obese in 2000, but that number rose to 42% by 2018. Fortunately, you can take action against obesity and get your weight under control with just a little help from a trusted doctor. Let’s talk about how obesity treatment works, and where you can go here in the Tucson area to see a physician who specializes in lipid disorders and weight management – to help you achieve wellness for a lifetime.
What Obesity Treatments Work Best?
The treatment your doctor recommends will be based on the cause of your obesity; it may involve more than one approach. Some of the obesity treatments that have the greatest success among patients include the following:
- Oral medications to control blood lipid levels, suppress appetite, and limit fat absorption (e.g., prescription Orlistat, whose brands include Xenical and alli)
- Exercise programs to include low-impact aerobic activities (e.g., walking or cycling) or no-impact aerobic activities (e.g., swimming) to get your body moving
- Replacing high-fat, high-carbohydrate, and greasy foods in your daily diet with more healthy foods such as lettuce, berries, almonds, and oats
- Vitamin and mineral supplementation to ensure balanced nutrition in your body
- Bariatric surgery (such as gastric bypass and gastric banding surgeries) for individuals who are 100 pounds or more overweight, or have a BMI of 40 to 50
Obesity Treatment Near Me in Tucson
Here in Tucson, Dr. Robert Lending is the only internal medicine physician in the area who is a clinical lipidologist. Utilizing a quick blood draw obtained and analyzed on-site in his office, Dr. Lending can study your metabolic profile and determine an individualized obesity treatment to get you on the path to permanent weight loss and overall wellness.
Our practice also offers membership-based concierge medicine, so Dr. Lending would be on call for you at any hour of the day or night if you have any medical concerns.
If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment with Dr. Lending, contact our friendly team today by calling us at (520) 795-4291 or by filling out our appointment request form online now. We look forward to being your healthcare partner!